|Some weeks ago I have bought on eBay this (great, IMHO) PDA.|
It’s a compact PDA, with a relatively slow processor (168 MHz) that grant a great lifetime battery.
It’s and extremely wired device: it support
– Wireless a/b
– GSM/GPRS (quad band)
This PDA is in English language with ROM version 1.00.06 ENG. Also the boot screen say 1.00.06 ENG (with the final ENG release). After using this PDA for some days to evaluate his capability, the next target is upgrade the firmware and the ROM. This step is needed to improve and fix a ton of features. The version 1.00.06 is the first release, with many bugs.
Upgrading the ROM you upgrade also the operative system (Windows Mobile 2003). You can improve GSM/GPRS reception, Wireless reception, battery life, etc… (search all changelog on HP website, under the iPAQ h6300 family).
To upgrade firmware you need a box running Windows and ActiveSync. Download the correct ROM, like SP30391.exe (the 1.11 English version) and run this exe with the iPAQ connected to this computer.
Playing with this procedure i have discovered a strange problem: my iPAQ was branded TDC (a Danish mobile carrier) with a proprietary ROM. So I’m unable to upgrade with the official HP ROM files.
This is the error message before the beginning of the upgrade procedure:
Incorrect device SKU! update cannot continue.
I suppose that the problem is the ENG word into release string.
Browsing some Danish forum (and I don’t understand Danish! 🙂 ) I have found this link:
go to www.tdcmobil.dk -> select erhverv -> select Produkter & Services -> select opdatering af HP ipaq h 6340
From this page/popup you can download the ROM 1.00.36 that will update the iPAQ from 1.00.06 ENG to 1.00.36 ENG.
Not too bad, but the last release is 1.11 and the ENG string is still here. So, after some others hours of research and experiments I have found this cool page that explain how to upgrade an iPAQ ROM from a different language. My iPAQ is already in English, but this procedure will “force” the upgrade process, so I can re-flash the branded ROM with an original ROM from HP.
I have downloaded the hpRUUSP30391.exe, a modified hpRUU.exe that will replace the original one. I have unpacked the SP30391.exe, replaced the hpRUU.exe with the patched version and booted the iPAQ in bootloader mode (pressing the mail and contacts buttons at the same time and pushing the soft reset button, wait until the bottom right corner reads BL before connect the iPAQ to the PC).
Bingo! My iPAQ now run the ROM 1.11 (English version without the ENG word into the string) and it’s ready for any regular future update.
Please remember that this procedure worked for me but I don’t have any warranties that will do the same with you! Flashing any device can break the device itself and you can trash your iPAQ. I’m not responsible for any damage to your PDA.
Thanks to ferdy for some assistance 🙂